Sorry for blog silence but there has been good reason as I have been wonderfully busy in global citizenship education since October and after finishing my Teaspoons of Change walk and ride in Japan. Also sorry for starting with such a long run-on sentence but I’m sure you have missed that as well… Just wait when I start posting my daily Teaspoons of Change from my trip!
So into the stats for those who like numbers and think they matter.
- 4 months (mid Aug – mid Dec)
- 7 countries (Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong [China], Thailand, Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia)
- About 2000km of walking and 2000km of cycling before, during and after the Teaspoons of Change trip in Japan
- 26 schools and institutions
- 70 Global Citizen presentations – a mix of JUMP!, Global Poverty Project, Happy, simply, Teaspoons of Change, Polio Points and mainly my ‘holiday’ snaps from volunteering around the world
- 5160 audience members – from grade 1 (5 years old) to universities student s and adults
- $2500 total costs (including flights / food / accommodation / everything!)
- $3200 given from schools and a few individuals in donations to cover costs (additional to the generosity they gave in hosting me and more)
- $700 going to on-the-ground development projects in South Sudan next year!
- Hospitality, kindness and generosity – infinite and priceless (thank you to so many people who hosted me daily and nightly!)
- Global citizenship education and experience FOR me – a huge abundance
- Global citizenship education and experience FROM me – a teaspoons each J (and hopefully 5000+ teaspoons will multiply!)
As someone who wants to see access and opportunity for everyone, everywhere and forever I can only be positive and optimistic about the world, humanity and the future based on the incredible humanity and love shown to me on this trip and as always…
I would hate to start to thank individuals as there are so many but ALL of you have been remembered in my head and my heart.
So from here I will be in Australia for Christmas with my family! Then off to South Sudan for the first half of next year working on Stop Transmission of Polio (STOP) program. I will blog as often as I can from South Sudan so keep an eye on http://lunny06.wordpress.com/ but I will also repost blogs from that site to Happy, simply and Teaspoons of Change and I’m finally thinking of writing a book after so many people telling me to do it… (Do I have to? You know how bad my writing is!).
In the second half of the year I hope to pass back though Europe (Jul/Aug) and Asia Aug/Sept) before I need to be back in Australia in October for my nephew’s wedding and a BIG Australian global citizenship education tour Oct – Dec (I even have the dates organised and will post below).
I am looking forward to a few weeks in the Happy, simply home in Aldinga and will be spending as much time as possible off-line the computer and on-face with family, friends, beach, hills, cricket, etc. (the best things in life in humans and nature)!
A big massive humongous THANK YOU to all those who have supported me for my first Teaspoons of Change trip and I can’t see my journey of learning, sharing and caring to see the end of extreme poverty, stopping anytime soon…
- 15 Jun – 15 Aug Europe for Polio Points (UK, Ireland, Germany, …?)
- 3rd week Sept Asia – Thai, KL,
- 4th week Sept Asia – Singapore, Brunei, others…?
- 1-9 October setup in Melb till 10 Oct
- 12-18 Oct SA, 19-23 Eyre Peninsula and country SA
- 26-30 Oct QLD (Townsville, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane)
- 2-6 Nov NSW
- 9-13 Nov VIC
- 16-20 Nov NT
- 23-27 Nov TAS
- 30 Nov-11 Dec VIC
- ??? Aotearoa New Zealand?